Disclaimer: This is a fun Hostel experience from Chiri that she witness in her college back in Kerala,India. This may not be exactly the same hostel experience my readers experience. Therefore, enjoy the footsteps of another bloggers uni life.
A haunting eerie voice woke me up today morning. I woke up shuddering.I listened to the music for some seconds longer. Images of a fair lady laden in white clothing with pangs springing out through her chilly red lips and her piercing stare falling on my neck flashed through my mind. (vampires always do this thing of sucking blood from the tenderest part of our neck in movies, just in case you are wondering why I said neck of all the body parts). Turns out the music was just the alarm of my friend, who, by the way, was still sound asleep. Yeah annoying! I know right!!
There are so many things that makes my hostel life super awesome which I would love to share with you.
1. The first thing thing that comes to my mind when I say hostel is the food fights. Whenever someone comes back to hostel with home cooked food, we’ll turn into homeless people who were starved for days. The battle ceases only after the last bit of food has vanished into our tummies.
2. The next thing is the pre-exam days. We’ll not open our books until the very last day of the study holidays and towards the evening everyone will be seen pacing to and fro with a book in their hands as if their tails are on fire. Some legends will be seen searching for the books in all the dusty corners of the room and the ultra legends will be seen running to the book store to get the prescribed textbooks! (it’s totally true I’m not even kidding)
3. The next one is the best. The crush discussions. Every single guy who has crushes on your friends will be cross evaluated and discussed. We don’t just stop with the present crushes, we even predict potential crushes. Imagine the plight of a poor girl who’s sitting in the middle of the rest of the squad and being attacked from all directions. In the midst of all these teasing, if she dare to smile even once, then she’ll be met with “see, its only been days and she’s fallen for him already”!
4. Saturday preps. We have an option to wear color dress on Saturdays to college and Saturday mornings are usually the most eventful time of the week.To get your top and bottom to perfectly match is the most difficult thing in the world, we realize on Saturdays. Not to mention the most difficult task of ironing it. There will be some top few favorite tops which will be worn over and over by the entire squad until guys at college starts asking if that’s our new uniform! That’s the case in my squad idk about the others though! 😂😂
5. When the warden makes the villain entry.We are not allowed to make phone calls after 9.30 pm at our hostel. So one day I was calling my mom and it slipped my mind that it was past 9.30. I was narrating some funny incident and I was all laughing and giggling and boom! I landed right in front of our warden and she’s like I don’t care who you call as long as its before the time limit.Clearly she had thought that I was calling some boy. And what’s funnier the only guy who ever calls me is my dad(pathetic, I know right) but how can I explain all that to her. So I just smile the embarrassed “ohh you caught me” smile and cut the call because explanations aren’t worth the effort.
6. Yay it’s someone’s birthday. Birthday nights are simply the best. Before I go on, I gotta tell you about the rules of our hostel. We can create as much ruckus as we want till 9.30 pm but not even a sigh should be heard afterwards. Which means no wishing, no cake cutting and especially no signing “HAAaaPppyyyyyYy BirtHdaaaayyYy to youuu” at midnight. But we go by the ideal that rules are meant to be broken so this has never stopped us from celebrating birthdays at midnights. (while we are on the topic of midnight I gotta say, everything is much more fun at midnight.. Eating,singing even showering.. Maybe it’s the moonlight charm 😂😂). If we are caught, an earful of scolding and a hefty fine follows. Being a hosteler, I’ll be broke like all the weeks except the week I’m returning from home so I try to avoid fine if I can help it. On my birthday we all agreed that we’ll make as little noise as possible so that we can escape punishment at least this time. But alas! The kids of the boys school hostel which is in the same premise as ours had chosen to prank their warden on the exact same day. They made a huge commotion at the door of their warden and then went to bed pretending to be all asleep. So when the warden woke up and went in search of the noise he saw his boys all fast asleep and guess what happened next.. he saw light in our building, that too in just one single room.. Everyone knows what that means.. Midnight birthday party! So the next day he called and complained to our warden that we made noise at midnight and woke up the entire boys hostel blah blah and the warden held a meeting of the whole hostel and while at it asked who’s birthday was! Desperately looking around to see if anyone’s raising their hands, I swallowed the lump in my throat. (okay I’m being too dramatic here.. The only thing I was scared of was if I would accidentally laugh while the warden was telling me off). The rest is pretty much self explanatory. And in case you are wondering, NO we(we as in my whole squad we) did not get a fine but was given a punishment what lasted for a whole month. And back to my birthday celebration, I got into the Guinness world records for taking the most baths in 24 hours.. 8. I TOOK 8 BATHS ON MY BIRTHDAY. One stinky oil bath, two washing soap water bath, one powder bath and rest all normal baths to get ride of the nasty smell left by the other baths. All thanks to my chuddy buddies!
7.”Pack your bags, we are bunkin’ ” Or maybe not. When you finally gather courage to bunk a class and step into the lift in order to avoid the next hour teacher, who usually takes the stairs but( dramatic pause) runs right into her on the lift,God… that has to be the most embarrassing cringy moment ever and it happens every single time. Maybe the universe is telling us to stay in class and be good students. Idk it’s positively creepy how it happens every time to me and me only!
8. Jo thera he vo mera he, vo thera he vo mera principle(that’s a Hindi verse which can be roughly translated as “what’s yours is mine, what’s mine is also mine”).When you are in a hostel, all of your stuff including your clothes, uniform, pillow, food, makeup, blanket, stationary, bag, college books, even bed will be common property on which you have no preferential rights. The only thing you have for yourself (maybe except for your toothbrush) is your phone. That too only if its locked with the most complicated password which cannot be uncoded even by the Interpol.
9. The squad meetings. If you see the entire squad huddled together you know what that means..something spicy is going on. Or maybe we’re just discussing ghost stories. “I swear I left the tap open but when i returned after 10 seconds the tap was closed and there was no one in the washroom!”, “I was all alone in my room and I saw a shadow flickering past my bed TWICE!”, “I keep hearing footsteps behind me, but when I turn, there’s no one following me”. “That’s it. There is a ghost at our hostel”…
Hostel life is awesome, this is a realization which was dawned upon me in the course of the past one year. Sometimes I feel that I like my hostel much more than my college. Weird but true! Living in a hostel made me realize that my friends are no longer friends but my new family. There’s so much love between us, yes we fight occasionally and go for days without talking but when we get back together it’s picking up exactly where we left off. That’s what I love the most about some people. I see these people all the time, at college as well as hostel but we never grow tired of each others company or run out of stupid stuff to blabber. These people who have seen you at your rock bottom, if they still stick to you and stick up for you, trust me they are angels whom you wouldn’t want to loose.That’s the lesson I learned from my first year at college..
If you have any hostel stories to share, go on I’m all ears. Or eyes. Whatever!! 😂😂
Written by CHIRI